Recently, a number of users have reported losing their data right after an update, and QuickBooks support forums are flooded with queries like ‘QuickBooks data missing after update.’ We understand how crucial the data is for a business, and even if a single component is missing, it can create chaos in the organization. So, if you are a part of this user group, do not worry; this article is a solution for you. We aim to highlight every factor responsible for data loss after an update and the solutions to get it back, so keep reading it until the end.
We have a solution for you in situations where your QuickBooks Data Missing after Update. Speak with our tech experts and receive tips on how to get back all your company data. Ring the team at 1(800) 580-5375 now.
Reasons Why All QuickBooks Data is Gone After Update
A user may lose their complete or partial data in several scenarios. Here are some of the most common reasons behind the missing data issue –
- If there is a power shutdown during the regular backup process or the system loses internet connectivity, the chances are that the backup will not be completed successfully, and you will lose the recent progress in QuickBooks.
- While switching to a new device or higher version of QuickBooks, the program is unable to restore all the data, and some transactions need to be moved manually.
- If the latest backup file has been removed accidentally, and the user is accessing an older and smaller backup file.
- If QuickBooks isn’t compatible with your system, the backup may have some records missing.
- Moving the backup file constantly from one location to another is also a reason for missing data in QuickBooks.
- Corruption in the company file also contributes to the issue where you find missing data after an update.
As you are familiar with why QuickBooks data missing after update, let’s move to the next section of this article and figure out the solutions to help you get it back.
Prerequisites to Recover Lost Data after an Update
There are some crucial considerations that you must look at if your QuickBooks data missing after update. Going through these important considerations will help you recover the lost data with ease and also help you avoid such issues in the future.
- You must always ensure the system does not shut down because of power cuts during the backup process, or else you will find your QuickBooks Data missing after update.
- If you are backing up QuickBooks to online storage, you must have a stable internet connection.
- If you recently moved to an upgraded version of QuickBooks, you must manually import some of the data, such as logos and templates.
- You must ensure that you restore the most recent backup of the company file, and restoring an older backup will not get you the most recent changes. If you don’t find a recent backup, try to find it in the trash folder in case it has been deleted accidentally.
- Make sure your system fulfills the minimum requirements to run the version of QuickBooks Desktop you have installed, or you might find your QuickBooks data missing after update.
- Another consideration is keeping the company file in the original company file folder. If you need to move it to another location, ensure that the new location is updated in QuickBooks.
Let’s now proceed to the solutions that will help you recover the lost data in QuickBooks Desktop on Windows and Mac operating systems.
Strong Recommendation: Is QuickBooks Running Slow Over Network? Try These Solutions
Easy Hacks to Follow when Company Data Lost After Update
Since the operating systems for Windows and Mac are different, you will have to follow different methods to retrieve your data after QuickBooks data missing after update –
How to Revert QuickBooks Data Loss after Update on Windows?
When you restore data from an older backup, you will gradually restore incomplete data in the program. Follow the below steps to locate the correct file to restore if QuickBooks data disappeared after update –
- Open QuickBooks, click the Preferences tab, and select the Backup
- Choose the Reveal Backup folder and select the folder in which you save your data backup files.
- To simplify the process, tap the Date Modified option to bring up the latest backup on top.
- The latest file with the largest size is the correct backup file in most cases.
- Once you are able to locate the latest backup, restore it in QuickBooks.
- After that, click the File tab and go to Utilities.
- Select Verify Data and allow the tool to check for issues in the file.
- If you see a message that reads, ‘Your data has failed the integrity check,’ this indicates possible data corruption, and you will need to rebuild it.
- Tap on File again, select Utilities, and then click on Rebuild Data.
- Hit the OK button and follow the upcoming instructions to fix any errors in the file.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes made and open QuickBooks.
This way, you can restore the most recent backup and retrieve the lost data in QuickBooks.
Handpick Topic: Is QuickBooks Missing Months of Transactions? Quick Fixes
What to Do If Invoices Lost after Updating QuickBooks on Mac?
When backing up your company data file in QuickBooks for Mac, QuickBooks creates a DMG file that stores a duplicate copy of the company file, along with the documents you created and backed up in QB. This is how you can get back the missing data in QB for Mac-
- Access QuickBooks and go to the Preferences menu tab.
- Select the Backup option and then choose the Reveal Backup Folder
- To locate the file easily, press the Date Modified option to display the latest file on top.
- Look for the data backup file and double-click on it to open a duplicate of your company file (.dmg extension).
- Attachments Library folder will also be visible to you if you have also attached documents like PDFs with your company file.
- Press, hold, and drag the copy of your company file (.qbXXXX extension) to the folder in which you wish to save the file.
- Repeat the same with the Attachments Library
- Now, open QuickBooks for Mac on your system and hit the Browse
- Move to the folder where you save the duplicate company file and click the Open
- The program will display a text saying that it is opening the file; select Continue on it.
- Name the file, hit Save, and tap on OK to finish the file restoration.
- To restore the documents, click on the Preferences tab and choose Attachments.
- Tap on the Attached Library menu and select the Select Existing
- Choose the folder that you dragged after the file and hit the Open
- Close the window and reboot your system.
We have now reached the end of our blog, where we have discussed some detailed methods to apply when QuickBooks data missing after update. We are optimistic that you will be able to retrieve your company data once you follow the instructions above. But, if you are unsuccessful in restoring your missing data, another way is to connect with our Data Recovery experts. The entire team employs advanced tools to recover lost data and preserve its integrity. Dial 1(800) 580-5375 immediately before it is too late.
FAQs on Data Missing After QB Update
What if restoring the most recent backup does not bring back the lost data?
If the latest backup doesn’t help, use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool for data recovery.
What if I don’t have a recent backup to recover the lost data?
If you do not have a recent backup to recover the lost data, you must first get the help of auto data recovery, and if that doesn’t help, reach out to the support team.
How can I safely update QuickBooks without worrying about data loss?
Updating QuickBooks Desktop is completely safe and only improves performance and stability. Internal issues within the QuickBooks application can sometimes result in data loss after an update. That’s why we always recommend creating a backup of the company file before updating QuickBooks.
I lost my QuickBooks data after update on Mac. What additional solutions can I try?
If you are a Mac user, you must try renaming the company file before backing it up to avoid any unusual behavior. Also, you must install the latest QuickBooks updates to help resolve any issues arising due to missing updates.
- Launch QuickBooks and open the drop-down menu.
- Click the Check for QuickBooks Updates option, and when prompted, hit Install Update.
- Finally, click Install and restart QuickBooks to get the updates installed.